Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Final blog #11

It seems I haven't been blogging in 3 weeks. I am finishing up my semester at BU 214 Marketing. We had a very busy couple of weeks. Our 2 culmination projects were due and were organizing for the final in a few days. Our new shoes simulation rocked. We (the new shoes company) started out pretty poorly compared to other class groups, but ended in second place overall and maintained the highest income ratio.  My new shoes team then had to present a business journal on our overall success. The class then had an assignment that had no precursor, we were given just one class period to receive a project idea, formulate the presentation, and present. It was a very interesting pressure assignment.

Then our video project was due. If you haven't seen it, fix yourself and go watch it here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM6LbwpFCms
Our video project we decided to make a serious topic have some humor so it wasn't so cut and dry. That proved to be difficult because we didn't want to make light of a serious subject either. We ended up going with a new cast team that our approach was funny, but we still kept the information accurate. In the end I enjoyed the video that we made, we also learned some new techniques on video editing.

Our final thank God is not a cumulative one. I don't like cumulative finals. This final, which I haven't taken yet, seems to be discussion based as well as multiple choice. We have to read information, then we quiz over it and finally we discuss it.

I learned from a professor a few semesters ago to reflect on exactly what I did learn in a class, so I'm going to continue that for you today.
In marketing the cornerstone idea is the 4 P's: Price, Product, Promotion, Place. We did go more in depth on different strategies to promote the 4 P's, but everything still stemmed back to them. I learned how to operate excel at a much higher capacity. The excel that we were required to complete for our new shoes simulation was intense. We had roughly 7 pages (its not a lot for some people) inside the excel document. The first page was raw data, we would enter all of our new shoes information there. That information was 70 rows and we had approx. 9 columns across. Then we had the other pages to create were purely formula. Ratios, forecasts, totals.... to name a few. We created graphs from formula's that were grabbed throughout the first page. Some of you may have done this, others not. This was very new to me, so I am happy I was able to learn it. Finally I solidified that having a good team is paramount. In college AND in the work force you sometimes are tasked to do group projects with other people. I was very fortunate to have other team members who cared and participated in every step.

BU 214 is a good insight to marketing. Those who want to pursue any type of job in marketing probably should take this course to have an overall grasp on things.

No comments:

Post a Comment